
I had an interesting experience a couple of months ago. Something that I have neglected to share. And yet, it has never – not even once – left my mind.
Brian and I were on a rare, real date. We were eating dinner. We were talking. There was a bit of a lull in the conversation, and I looked at him. Really looked at him. And was surprised by what I saw. Almost as if I had never seen him before in my life. I’m reminded of something I heard long ago: “Are those your eyes? Is that your smile? I’ve been looking at you forever… yet I never saw you before.”
And that’s just what it was like. I was reminded in an instant that I like him a little bit. But the reminder brought a harsh realization.
I see Brian every day. And yet, I’m ashamed to admit that I don’t see him every day. There are times when days go by where we don’t really talk to one another – for no reason except our busy schedules. And because of these same distractions – and others – we don’t get many opportunities to spend one-on-one time with one another. I was reminded that we need to make more time for one another. We need to talk to one another about the monotony of our days. It is important. I’m trying hard to do better. And failing miserably. But … try I do. Frankly, I’d like to remember all the time why I married this man. Because they’re good reasons.
In that brief moment, I was reminded of what a special person he is. He is special. He is a hard worker. He is dedicated and diligent and steadfast. He is loving and kind. He is responsible. He is solid and righteous. He is a wonderful father. He is silly. He is quirky. He lets me be me … and he loves me anyway. He drives me crazy.
I love him.
And don’t tell him often enough.
An important day fast approaches … and Brian and I will celebrate our 7th anniversary. Where, pray tell, did that time go? While I’m thankful we’ll share eternity … I still feel as though time is slipping through my fingers. I wonder if the time has been spent wisely. If we’re making the most of all our time together. Because it is all important.
I remember clearly the day we met. And I know it was only about ten minutes ago. It couldn’t have been more than fifteen. And yet – though I will never understand it – it has been longer than that. Even though I can’t feel it … time marches on.
I’m reminded of a very favorite:
I looked up when you came thru the door.
My head started reeling,
you gave me the feeling
the room had no ceiling or floor.
Ten minutes ago, I met you.
And we murmured our how-do-you-do's.
I wanted to ring out the bells
and fling out my arms
and to sing out the news.
I have found him!
He's an angel –
with the dust of the stars in his eyes.
We are dancing, we are flying –
and he's taking me back to the skies.
In the arms of my love, I’m flying –
over mountain and meadow and glen.
And I like it so well,
that for all I can tell,
I may never come down again!
I may never come down to earth again.
Yes. That’s exactly right.
As I reflect on our life together, I linger on the highlights. I laugh at the memories. Especially the not-so-funny-at-the-time ones. I solemnly remember the low points … and how they have come and gone. How we have worked through them, and how they have strengthened the tenor of our hearts. My whole being swells with pride – gratitude and thankfulness – as I ponder the treasures I have been blessed with. I imagine with expectation what the future holds for us. Even still, hoping it doesn’t come too soon. Because, after all … we’ve only known each other about ten minutes. Give or take.
Lyrics: For The First Time; Jud Friedman, Allen Rich, James Newton-Howard
Lyrics (adapted): Ten Minutes Ago; Rodgers and Hammerstein (Cinderella)
4 comments:
What a sweet post. I know all too well how easy it is to get caught up in life and stop "looking" at your spouse. Thankfully the army has also taught me to appreciate the time we do have together. Happy soon to be anniversary. We love you guys!
love you, too, laci! and ... HOORAY that you're almost free of the army. i know you're ready!
love this. Ben & I had a great conversation from this post & set a time for a soon to be date. =]
:)
Post a Comment