
And we are in love.
Maybe it’s a little premature. Maybe we’re just hopeful that we aren’t being teased. But, it appears that fall has set in – in all its glory. And we are embracing it with open arms. So … call us fools. Fools we’ll be. Gladly.
'Beautiful' doesn’t do it justice. Heaven only compares. It’s a time of the year that finds us yearning to be outdoors. Breathing in the striking creations of our loving Heavenly Father. I don’t understand how anyone can observe this lovely season … and even question that there is something behind it all.
While our fall may not be as eye-catching as falls in other corners of the world … it is ours. It is what we love, and what we look forward to every year. It is the beginning of the colder months. The header to the holiday season. Truly – our favorite time of the year.
It is during the fall season that we really miss living in the country. Making our hearts ache for our old, first home. The sights, the smells, and the sensations of the season draw us back there. More often during this time of the year, we can be found in that special place. Going on walks. Breathing it all in. And we’ll continue to do so … throughout the winter. Yes, we are those people that are going on walks, walking through pastures, trekking amongst memories … when everyone else is bundled up inside.
I’ve found that this season has begun just the same. And yet, there is a subtle difference. It’s a heady thing, walking those grounds now. I have felt, in so many instances this last month, that we are not alone. And I don’t believe that we are. I know that we are merely rubbing elbows with those on the other side. Those that we can not see … but can feel. Those that cherish that earth just as much.
We had the chance to take one of these such walks while down at Brian’s parents last Sunday. And I tried – more than usual – to soak up those feelings. To feel the presence of those we are waiting to see again. I found it wasn’t tremendously difficult – I just needed to close my mind off to the other things. The busy things. The worldly things. The unimportant things.
This little exercise also produced other results. The purpose for our walk was so that I could take some pictures of the changing, fall leaves. Like I always do. Because, yes … they are pretty. And because it’s just something that you do in the fall. And yet, as we were taking that little romp through the countryside, little things started popping up all over the place … here and there and everywhere in between. Things that I’ve noticed a million and one times before – other telltale signs of fall. And yet, it was as if I was seeing these things with new eyes. And I knew in an instant, that it was because of my new-found sense. Being able to notice the small things hidden under the overwhelming weariness of life. And I was again grateful for it. And continue to be.
I’m reminded of a quote I read the other day:
"I've found that photography has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." [Erwitt]
Luckily, my camera was an extension of myself that day … and I could funnel that energy into something worthwhile. Or at least I think so.
So, here’s to my challenge to see things a little differently. Here’s to the lure of the countryside. Here’s to those we’re missing during this season. Here’s to falling in love with fall.
I end where I began:
But I can't help, falling in love with you.
Shall I stay? Would it be a sin?
If I can't help, falling in love with you.
Like a river flows surely to the sea;
darling, so it goes –
some things are meant to be.
Take my hand … take my whole life too.
For I can't help, falling in love with you.



No comments:
Post a Comment