Friday, March 11, 2011

a hazy shade of winter


It seems like it's all over. And - in complete, honest truth - I am very sad.
We’ve had an odd mix of weather this winter. Very cold. Lots of snow and sleet and hail. Lots of overcast, dreary days. All in all: Just the way I like it.
For the last couple of months – nearly every day, with the exception of these last couple of weeks – it has looked like snow. If not in temperature – in appearance. It reminds me of one of my very favorite places. And makes me long to be there. My cousin was recently there - in New York - and I loved following her daily updates. All the while daydreaming that I was there, too. One place that, at this time of the year, I deem close to heaven.
This photo was taken from the portico at our front door - which, incidentally, I also love. My favorite part of the whole house ... and something I truly wish I could just hack off and take with me whenever we do move on from this place.
I’ll always treasure this winter - and try to hold the memory of it close to my heart when summer arrives. I relish in the cleansing power of the winter season - when everything is so crisp and pure.
As the seasons slowly begin to change, I am trying to find new bits that I can call ‘heavenly’. Trying to find the beauty in the world around me. The joy in my everyday.
Because - there’s lots of it.
Note: As soon as I finished writing this (but before I posted it), it got blistery cold again. Bring on the hate mail ... because I was the one praying for this. Have I told you recently that I believe in the power of prayer? Yes, I do.

1 comment:

MissManda-Mae said...

i'm with u... i love cold weather, i love scarfs, i love coats, i love boots, and fires and feeling toasty under blankets... i do NOT like sweating or pealing my clothes off me on hot summer days. So thanks for the prayers... i wish it would stay cold just a little bit longer!