This week has been both fulfilling and exhausting. Last weekend was brutal for me. I was preparing for our Stake Enrichment Meeting and the General Relief Society Broadcast. Our ward was asked to develop a display of budget-concious, creative gift wrap ideas. And, being the Enrichment leader, that task fell in my lap. I did have some help, but I did a huge chunk of it myself. Friday night I sat down to finish up the last “finishing touches” of my projects, only to find that I was way more behind than I thought. After putting together several tedious packaging examples, some gingerbread cookies gone terribly wrong and other not-so-humorous mishaps, I realized that I had gone more than 28 hours without sleep. Yes, I worked through the night, and it was several more hours before I got that 45 minute catnap prior to leaving for the activity.
I think that it all went very well and I enjoyed the broadcast. I got home and found a very, very upset little boy. Those yet-to-make-their-appearance teeth coupled with his current separation issues did a number on Ammon’s mood. I took over from Brian, and it was pushing midnight before I could get him to lie down. We pulled out all the stops – the Tylenol, the music, walking the floor with that newborn-sway, rocking, singing, patting, shushing, bouncing the crib mattress, yada yada yada. Nothing would do… but, he finally just rolled over mid-scream and went to sleep. Who knows...
We had to lower Ammon’s crib mattress Saturday night. He was effortlessly pulling up and leaning over the railing – also intentionally dropping his bink over the side so that I would have to go in there and get it for him – so it was a needed change. I still have to go in and find his bink for him sometimes, but now it is because he throws it across the room.

Sunday we had a family reunion for the Caraway family. Ammon was awarded a prize for being the youngest Caraway present – just perks of the position. He, of course, was the star of the show. We had quite the time getting him to eat because there was so much going on. After lunch, we went to visit Brian’s great-grandparents’, Claudie and Oscar, graves. As soon as we walked up to the site, Ammon was all smiles and giggles. I feel sure that he knew where we were – just like I know MawMaw Claudie and Granddaddy Oscar were there with us. I know that Ammon remembers them. I never knew these two people who were such a fixture in Brian’s life, and Ammon was telling me all about them during our visit.
We put out our Halloween decorations early in the week. Halloween is one of Brian’s favorite holidays, so he was very excited. I couldn’t pull things out of the boxes fast enough! I’m really happy with how it all turned out, and I’m very surprised that I was able to put everything out in our even-more-cramped-space. All except one thing, that is. Now Christmas will be another story…
This week, I have been trying to catch up on some things around our home – slowly marking things off my list. I finally broke down and bought a new pillow case to replace the missing one. I’m quite sure that the other one will turn up now.
Ammon is a crawling machine. He is a speedy little muskrat, I’ll tell you. He finally discovered our stairs… we are now the proud owners of 3, count them 1.2.3., baby gates. The ones for our stairs are swing gates, though. No hurdling on stairs for me, thank you. I also had to come up with a more effective barricade for the shelving unit that houses part of our dvd collection. I don’t mind him pulling the dvds off the shelves, but the other day he unplugged everything in that corner and was trying to drag everything – floor lamp included – by their cords.
I’m still feeling a bit under the weather, but I’m on the tail end of it. Brian, on the other hand, is miserably ill. When he is sick, he seems to be really, really sick – and this occurrence is no different. He, like me, has a hard time finding medication that he can take that doesn't make him too tired and crazy. I’m hoping that whatever we have had is not catching. Ammon has made it 9 months without any illness, and I’m hoping to keep it that way.
And for those Twilight folks out there... I have to say, it’s official. I’m in the Edward fan club. And I have a t-shirt to prove it. We were in Hot Topic the other day so that Brian could look at their band shirts, and there it was. The last Edward shirt… and in my size. I took it as a sign. They had tons of Jacob shirts… I wonder why. Gag me with a wooden spoon. But anyway, I had to have it. I don’t have many t-shirts like this. Well, none really. Just band shirts from concerts. So, I guess I’m a groupie now. But when I’m wearing this baby, I don’t feel like a groupie… just an adoring fan supporting my team. Like football. And I’ve decided that I’m going to dive right back into the books and read them again as soon as I get them back from my friend, Kira. And all I can say is… poor Brian. Another few days of obsessed silence.
And the nice girl working at Hot Topic – who always complements Brian on his choice of shirt, and is sure to classify us as frequent shoppers or regular customers – found me and gave me an extra pin that she had. So I got a free Edward pin, too. I’m so pleased. Just ask Brian… I was giddy. It now has a treasured place on my inspiration board. Not much gets up there, but this… this is something special.

3 comments:
I also love the Twilight series but I think I'm the few that is more in love with Jacob than Edward. Don't get me wrong I do love Edward but I love Jacob more.
Jealous! I am team Edward all the way! (I used to feel bad for Jacob, until the last book.) A friend of mine made shirts for the breaking dawn release party, but buying one just makes it feel more...official. LOVE IT.
You should take pictures of your Halloween decorations! I want to see what you've done with the place, crafty lady :)!
Post a Comment