The day was overcast and cold. Perfect. Just the way I like it. We met at one of my favorite places downtown – chances are, if I’ve taken photos for you, I’ve brought you here. We roamed aimlessly around – actually finding some new treasures that I can not wait to return to. Three of Sandy’s four children tagged along, and were our models for the day. And my … what fun I had with these few.
How I loved having the opportunity to capture their gorgeous smiles. To hear their sweet laughs. Truly – flashes of light.
Kylynn: Oh my. I could stare all day at your mesmerizing baby blues. The camera loves you. And … I’m thrilled to hear that you love the camera. I hope that you continue to cultivate this love – always striving to see the beauty in the world around you. And never, ever, forgetting the beautiful light that is inside of you. How I admired your calm, sweet spirit. What a stunning young woman you are – one I won’t soon forget.
Kaylie: Darling. I knew from the start that I would adore you. Your spunk oozes out every part of you. I loved listening to your personality. True – I very nearly fell over into the road when you commented to your sister (regarding one of those ‘cube’ cars): “I want to run into it just to give it some shape.” I loved trying to crack the surface of your carefully coy façade: The answer to every question I pointed in your direction being, “I don’t know” … accompanied by a sly little smile. After numerous attempts to find out what your hobbies were … what you liked most about homeschooling … what you wanted for your upcoming birthday … I finally pulled out a trick from my mother’s hat, and said, “Well, who should I ask?” Something that nearly always got an even broader smile to fly across your face. True, those ‘I don’t knows’ became a running joke between us throughout the afternoon. But, you know – I’ll always treasure our conversation about ‘9’ being better than ‘8’ – and that ‘10’ will be the best of them all. And, by the time we were done – I did find out what you wanted for your birthday. And I knew you were a bright ray of sunshine on that cloudy day. And I knew that I liked you. A lot. It’s tough to know much of what you’re about when you are not-quite-10. But, darling Kaylie – if you know nothing else – always remember that you are a beautiful young lady, who is cherished. That, my dear, is enough.
Ryon: Ah, my sweet. I’m so glad we bonded over how to mimic the perfect lion. I’m glad that you shared secrets with me. And that you loved my yellow watch – even though yours at home is ‘just silver’. And, even though I asked for them … you keep those gorgeous lashes of yours. You said you loved them. As do I.
Sandy: Thank you for that afternoon. Thank you, truly, from the bottom of my heart.
While driving home, a song came shuffling through my iPod. And I couldn’t help but beam a smile for all the world to see. Simply put – it reminded me of my afternoon with these sweet faces. I hope I have the chance to see those flashes of light again. Until then – stay beautiful.
Don't you know, you're really gonna be someone –
ask anyone.
And when you find everything you looked for –
I hope your life leads you back to my door.
Oh, but if it don't,
stay beautiful.
Enjoy. As I have.




























Stay Beautiful; Taylor Swift
4 comments:
My heart is full.
I have memories to cherish.
Thank you for such a great day and for being the amazing person you are.
I hope this was just the beginning of a life long friendship.
HUGS!
sandy -
MY heart is full.
thank you so much for such a wonderful day. i am SO very glad that these photos of your precious children warm your heart. love you so!
These pictures are gorgeous! I can't help but be amazed every time I see the work you do. I just wished we lived closer so you could teach me a bit of that magic that you do with a camera.
thanks so much, laci! love you!
Post a Comment