The time has come to bid adieu to yet another Thomas family belonging – this time, a very dear friend. How I will miss him.Yes. This post is about a camera. The story of an old, faithful camera. One that has been by my side for the larger part of this families’ existence. One that has captured so very many beautiful things. True – this camera holds memories for me. Treasured memories. It is all a little bittersweet.
To sit and think about all that he has preserved – all that has been seen through his lens – warms my heart. The miles he has travelled could take him to the moon and back. His battle scars are clearly evident. And the time we’ve spent together – him an extension of me. Ah, the things we’ve faced together! You would have to see to believe. All the country days. All the holidays. The trips and the landmarks of life. All the things that we look back on with fond recollections – all the things that make us roll with riotous laughter.
He witnessed the birth of Ammon, right along with Brian and me. He captured 98% of the photographs that have ever appeared on this blog. He has done mini photo shoots or taken individual shots for many of you, my readers.
Yes. He truly is a member of our family. But, lately I’ve noticed that this dear friend of mine is getting tired. Worn out. Still doing what he does best – preserving the remembrances of his family – but needing a rest.
So – a new page has been turned. It is the dawn of a new day. The investment was finally made. I have a new camera with all the bells and whistles that I have been dreaming about… and then some. I am loving her, too.
I do not believe that you have to have a nice, expensive camera in order to take good pictures. We’ve talked about this before. I will say that it is nice to have a comrade now that can grow with me and my hobby. My talent. Something that I can work for some time to conquer the boundaries of. However, I stand firmly and resolutely by my previous notions: That, with practice, beautiful photographs can be taken with any camera and by anyone.
I’ve had several conversations over the last several months with many different people – many people with different levels of wisdom when it comes to photography. People who think that a ‘professional’ photographer has some unattainable right that no one else has. That professional studios will capture better results. People who think that a top-rate camera will take a perfect photograph e.v.e.r.y time. And so forth. But, all of these allegations simply are not true. I really wish that more people truly understood the true nature of photography. It is such a very magnificent thing when you look at it with the right eyes and the right frame of mind.
“Too often we assume that professional photographers possess some magic that’s not available to the rest of us. We see photos in magazines that tug at our hearts and we think, “I’d love a photo like that of my baby, but I’m not a real photographer.” Well, you may not be a professional food critic either, but you know what good food tastes like. The same goes for being a photographer – much of photography is knowing what you like and setting out to create it. There’s no photographic magic, no perfect camera. . . .
“Change your attitude about photography. Think beyond snapshots. Think about creating images that are timeless, images that won’t be taken down from the wall since they’re works of art. The main difference between professional photographers and the rest of us is that professionals focus on ‘making’ photographs while we’re running around ‘taking’ pictures.
“What’s the difference? Taking photos is just that – taking whatever you can get from wherever you are. Not a lot of thought and little or no planning. This is okay if you’re only looking to document what Uncle Charlie looked like at last year’s family reunion, but if you need an image that captures who Uncle Charlie is, his dry wit or leathered hands, you’ll need to look beyond the obvious. Push yourself a little.” [Allison Myers]
All this being said, my old camera won’t be going the way of the Dodo. It’s not really a goodbye, because he won’t really be going anywhere. Just this minute, I can think of several situations where he would be more advantageous – and I know that that thought probably confuses some of you. I l.o.v.e my new camera, don’t get me wrong. I am so very grateful for it. But I am able to value both of these cameras and what they have to offer. What they both bring to my life.
3 comments:
It looks so pretty!
And your glasses are adorable. :)
STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Were you just waiting for me to read your blog before you ever said anything????????????????????? HUH???? Congrats on the new baby! You let me know if you need any help figuring her out! I'm here! Read the manual front to back! It has the best information in it!
thank you, lyndsey --- i think she's pretty, too. and thanks for the glasses comment. i really look 10 when i wear them...
jessica --- sorry! no internet at home makes me get behind! i'll email you the whole story.
Post a Comment