Friday, June 11, 2010

what greater gift

This beautiful woman is getting married in the Birmingham Temple tomorrow … tomorrow! Tuesday, she went through the Temple for the first time – and I had the i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e opportunity to be there with her.

My time at the Temple Tuesday, certainly proved to be a learning experience for me. A beautiful time. I have attended the Temple many times before (definitely not often enough); however, this time was different. The same – and yet – there was a perceptible difference. Maybe I am growing? Maybe I am realizing the wonderful blessings that come from frequent temple attendance? Since this was the first time ever that I have been able to return to the Temple so soon.

Whatever the reason, I am so glad that I made the effort and sacrifices to go up with my mom and be there with Amber. I can’t even begin to describe how wonderful it was for me. All this being said, I have found that I don’t like attending the Temple without my husband. I truly – incredibly and completely – missed him not being there. I hated that separated-at-the-airport feeling, as I call it. I was doing great, for the most part – but I did almost loose it one time. I had a sudden image of what it would be like to be without your family throughout the eternities. What a reminder. A reminder of how very, very thankful I am that my family can be together forever. A reminder to work hard to keep it that way. And – a reminder to attend the Temple so that I might assist those that are waiting for the blessings I know. My … look how it comes full circle.

How awesome was my experience. It was such a lovely thing for me to be at the Temple that day, and to have had the opportunity to do the things that I did. It has been a complete joy to watch my dear friend Amber grow into the exquisite individual that she is – inside and out. She has made some very tough decisions in her life – but it has been such an inspiration to me to see her faith. To see her unwavering strength. And to be a frequent recipient of her sweet countenance. My mind drifts to this proclamation:

What greater gift dost Thou bestow,
what greater goodness can we know,
than Christlike friends whose gentle ways
strengthen our faith, enrich our days.


My … I am so happy for you, Amber. And Russell, too, of course. Enjoy your forever.

Lyrics: Each Life That Touches Ours for Good, LDS Hymnbook

No comments: