Sunday, September 14, 2008

the blessings of a little vacation

Last week was a great week. Not the week that just wrapped up, but the week before (No cracks at the lateness of this post… I’m not up for it). My grandmother was home from rehab, my aunt was up for a visit - so Ammon and I decided to go on a little vacation. A little vacation just half an hour away. A little vacation to the place I feel most comfortable, the place I feel most at ease. To Enterprise, Alabama - my home away from home.

Ammon and I stayed exactly a week, with Brian coming up in the evenings for dinner and spending the night on the weekends. We had such a good time. Really - such a good time. Even though we stayed very, very busy getting my grandmother settled and meeting her physical therapists, we still had a lovely, relaxing time.

We went shopping. Ammon and I went to the library and wreaked havoc in the children's section. We went swimming. I caught up on my Jon & Kate Plus 8. Ammon practiced his almost-crawling. We giggled. We cooked. Ammon and I went to the park - Ammon talked to the geese, ducks, birds, dogs and squirrels… and is content just playing with the benches rather than on the playground. I got my hair-bones trimmed. Grandma got her very first manicure. I made my first apple pie (with some help). Ammon and I spent time with my dad and grandparents. I had a nice visit with my pal, Kristy. I got to doodle on my mom’s seminary chalk board. We caught up on some politics. Brian and I went on a date to see The Dark Knight one more time. Brian got to catch up a little bit on Ghost Hunters - and freaked us all out just the tiniest bit. We were present for baby Caleb’s blessing. Some days we did nothing at all - and yet it meant everything to us.

It was beyond nice being back home. We enjoy living in Dothan, but it isn’t our first choice. Yes, in Dothan there are more things to do. But in Enterprise, there are more things to live for. A different atmosphere. A different vibe. A different feeling. We so enjoyed being in Enterprise Ward that Sunday. I felt like I was home. Home is such a wonderful feeling. My friend, Kira, and I were talking about it this week. Her family is in our ward, but that Sunday we all just happened to be back in Enterprise. We talked about how great it was being back. How great it felt to be home - and how much we have been missing it.

But, we don’t live in Enterprise. And while we do make the drive to go to the better park and better library and (dare I say it) better ward - we do live in Dothan. That is our home. I am trying really hard to be happy with that. To be happy with my current situation, make the most of what I have, and live with the things that I can not change. I know that this is a temporary phase - a bridge between what was and what will be, if you will - but that doesn’t make it any easier to get through. I am happy with what my life has been blessed with - it’s the logistical stuff that makes my blood pressure go up.

And speaking of blessings - I have so many. So much to be grateful for. I was recently criticized for being too gushy on our blog. But - hello - I have everything money can’t buy. So, I feel that I have every right to be a little sappy. Everyone else can just suck it up or be jealous - whichever they prefer.

But back to our blessings. We have a sweet family that is full of love. We have a home that is a haven from a turbulent world. We have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. We have an income and we aren’t starving. We have a way to get to that better park in good ‘ole Enterprise. Our family is eternal - which is a powerful thing. So, by all means, let me be gushy.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I'm glad to see your blogging again. It was so great to see you this week and hang out a bit. It was a amazing all the kids were sleeping at the same time so we could actually watch a movie. I know how life can be frustrating at times with the situations we live with, Lack of space and wanting to move on to the next stage in life but it's not quite the right time. I'm here for you, I totally get it. Just let me know when you need another break from the crazyness, I'll be there with some fun packed in my back pocket to pull out and use. I hope you have a great week!!!

Kira =] said...

dod do! =]

Nilla said...

I love your mushiness on your blog. You do have all the things money can't buy. And you have every right to talk about them and how grateful you are for them :). How wonderful to have "home" so close-by. Although I will say you make a wonderful haven of your home in Dothan. I always felt so comfortable there. You are great at making a house a home, Stacy. Just thought you should know :).

Loveya!