Wednesday, May 7, 2008

this crazy life of ours

Lots of catching up to do. We’ve been enjoying our time at home – our time between bouts of chaos. Our crazy little life will again be hectic in about a week. We’re enjoying the down time – and enjoying togetherness.

Friday, Ammon had his very first play date. Well, really it was his mom’s play date – Ammon stayed in his stroller and was such a trooper! My friend, Kira, and I went to the park with all our little munchkins – Kira and I walked and then her kids enjoyed some time on the playground. We ran into our friend Sara and her children while we were there. Such fun! Ammon only started to meltdown when it was time to leave – and he was asleep before we left the parking lot. Needless to say, he did some sleeping in his car seat when we got home. I wasn’t about to wake him up!

I had a surge of energy after walking – and as a result, got quite a bit done. Once Ammon finally got up, we played on the floor for a bit. He is really loving his mirror right now. He discovered last week that there is somebody in there… and he quite enjoys the conversation. After a while, he started to act tired again, and within minutes was crashed out on the floor. Never happened before. No more burrito-wrapping for us. The bug is growing up.

We were going to the Hutto’s for dinner that evening, and I made my yummy salad and cookies – only for friends will I do all that! Everything turned out just right – and dinner was fabulous. We had such a great time with our dear friends – enjoying their company and conversation. I had given Ammon a bath before we went over, having him ready for bed – but, of course he had other plans. There was no way he was going to sleep with so much going on. It was after 10:00 before we got him in bed. He slept through the night – but I really attribute this to the fact that it was Brian’s night to get up with him. He always does that. So not fair.

Even though Ammon slept well – I did not. You see, I had this nice piece of key lime pie in my fridge (actually several pieces)… and I had plans to take care of some business before going to bed. After we got Ammon down, I invaded the fridge, grabbed my key lime pie… and then I cried. The pie plate flipped over, my pie landed upside-down splattering all over the floor. So disappointing. I went straight to bed, even though I wasn’t really tired, and tossed and turned all night. It never fails – when I have the guaranteed ability to have a full night’s sleep… it doesn’t happen.

Saturday was more or less a lazy day at home. Brian had a bit of school work to do, I had a bit of laundry to do, Ammon had… well, let’s just say Ammon was Ammon. Which prevented me from getting all the laundry done. But, oh well, it isn’t going to sprout legs and walk away. I wish it would… but history has proven that that isn’t happening.

Saturday evening, my mom came and watched Ammon while Brian and I went out for our “date” – groceries. We did go out to eat and ran some other more “fun” errands, too. We didn’t get everything done, though – and got back pretty late. I was in a sour mood – I wanted to right the wrong that had happened the night before in regards to the key lime pie. I wanted ice cream – to be specific, ice cream in ice cream cones (loving that taste combination right now). I got the ice cream cones, but no ice cream. There was no ice cream to be had at Wal-Mart. Unbelievable, I know. To say that I was quite disappointed would be an understatement.

Trying to put myself in a better mood, Brian and I watched a movie before going to bed. We watched some Indiana Jones and ate a snack – I went foraging and was grazing on whatever looked tempting… the popcorn that I had made was not what I wanted. I was not the least bit tired due to the nap that I had taken around lunch time, so it was another late night for me. It was around 2:00 before I went to bed – and I was in for another night of restlessness.

Sunday, we went to church and decided to go to the park that afternoon for a walk. The afternoon proved to be a little too hot – we ended up planning an evening trip, but it just didn’t happen. We did have an eventful evening, though. Ammon got his very first juice and cereal. He was such a big man! He loved (loved, loved, loved, loved) his juice, and was so very ready for his cereal. He knew just what to do – his mouth opened up wide in anticipation of that spoon. He’s been eyeing our food for so long… he was probably thinking, “I know what to do. I’ve seen the big people do this.”. He seemed to really like it – I think he was just so excited to be eating “real food” that he wouldn’t have cared what it tasted like. That full tummy helped him sleep, though he did get up a couple of times that night.

Monday, was a ho-hum day. I did some laundry between playtimes. Brian is officially done with his Monday and Wednesday classes, so we were all really excited for some family time that evening. We ended up running all the errands that we didn’t get to on Saturday. Ammon was good, even though he was fighting sleep in a bad, bad way. There was that slight meltdown in Target, though

We had a difficult time putting Ammon to bed that night. It was similar to Friday night – the more past his bedtime, the more struggle there is. We were finally able to put him to bed, and Brian followed soon after. I, however, needed some down time – and as I was finally able to get some ice cream, I got a snack and watched a bit of television. Even though I know I need the sleep, I think I need that time to unwind even more.

Tuesday, we had another little play date. We went to the park again with the Hutto’s and we walked a bit. This time didn’t go a smoothly as the last – we went a tad later in the day… running into lunch and naptimes. We decided to cut it short when everyone started melting down. Friday will be a better day.

Ammon fell asleep in the car again, and I was able to put him down in his crib when we got home. Another first. This child does not – I repeat, does not – take naps in his crib. He slept for over an hour. Isn’t it amazing how such a thing can bring so much joy!

That evening, my mom came down and went shopping with me and Ammon. I needed to find a new dress for Brian’s graduation, and really didn’t want to go by myself. I finally found one, along with some other things, of course. Ammon was really good through it all, even though he was very, very tired. Once we got home, he fought sleep for a while before finally giving up. Brian got home shortly after, and we watched Dan in Real Life after dinner. We hadn't seen this one before, and it really was pretty good.

Today, I have been trying to straighten up a little bit – our house is beginning to get even more cluttered now that we have more baby gear than ever before. Between swing, bouncy seat, jump-n-go in the doorway, exersaucer, highchair, yada yada yada – we have very little room. But we have lots of fun in that very little room. Can’t complain too much about that.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. It really helps those of us not in Alabama to feel very connected. Thanks so much for taking the time to share with all of us.
Love, Amy

Nilla said...

You sound like you stay busy! Sorry about the key lime pie incident. That can ruin anyone's day. And love the pictures of Ammon eating. Especially the second one where he has opened wide and is smiling. So cute!