Ammon, by the way, is sleeping much better at night. There for a while I was getting up with him every 30 minutes or so to give him his bink – I would hear him screaming, go in to check on him, and find him whining and clawing at his jaw/cheeks (part of that lovely little affair called teething). He was doing all of this in his sleep, poor little bug. Luckily, through all of this, he was still quite pleasant during the day – laughing, playing and all. Now, however, he is sleeping better at night – though I still get up at least once to find his bink for him – but he is a monstrous pill during the day – clingy, moody and petulant. Pterodactyl all the way. I’m not sure which of these habits I would prefer. When he was happy during the day, though I was very tired, he allowed me to do what I needed to do… and even rest when he did. On the other hand, when he sleeps during the night I may be more rested, but have a difficult day with him by myself. I know that I should be grateful for what I do have – be it sleep or a happy boy – and just be content with my current situation, whatever it may be. Easier said than done.
So all in all, nothing much has been happening since Brian’s graduation except being sick and tired. We haven’t really adjusted to Brian being home… though it is very nice, I am still in that he-just-has-a-few-days-off-so-don’t-get-used-to-it mindset. We have enjoyed having him home – being able to run errands in the evenings, watch a movie, have no real set bedtime. Lovely. Brian is happy to have the summer off, though he does have a to-do list of things that need to be accomplished before the fall. The first item of business: spending time with me and Ammon. Brian is very excited to be able to do more to take care of Ammon… like feeding him dinner, playing and giving him baths. I can tell that Ammon is glad to have him home, too. So am I.
Brian and I were able to squeeze in a date last week. My mom came and watched Ammon , so that we could have some time together. We went out for a lovely dinner, ran a couple of errands and, of course, went to see Indiana Jones. So nice to see him don that fedora one more time. You know that little girls have dreams of their knight in shining armor. Well, mine was Indiana Jones. Yes, I know. Whether it was his love of antiquities, his fear of snakes that matched my own, or that old fedora that seems to stay on through even the hairiest of situations – he was my hero. I was a little apprehensive about this new film – albeit excited – and was pleasantly surprised with it. Hard to believe that I wasn’t there at the pre-screening or even on opening night. If there was any way I could have gone, I would have been the first in line for a ticket, trust me. But I have made up for it – judging that I have already seen it again.
Ammon has been quite the charmer lately… well, he always is a charmer. He has been eating vegetables since we got home from Atlanta – first green beans, now peas. He h-a-t-e-d green beans. He gagged so much that we had some projectile green guck flying across the room. After a day or two, though, he likes them well enough. He loves peas. He definitely doesn’t take after him mom in this arena… I do not like green vegetables. One thing that he does take after me: his sleep positions. He is all over his crib. I checked on him last night before going to bed and he was in the corner of his crib – his bottom jammed in the corner and his legs sticking straight up, resting on the crib bumper – snoring away with his arms behind his head. Ten minutes later he was probably in a different place. He is a traveler – he covers the entire surface area of his crib mattress. So silly.
Ammon can now sit up unassisted for a bit, though after about ten seconds he losses his balance and rolls over. He is slowly figuring it out, and will do it when he’s ready. He is also scooting a bit. He really goes to town if he is pushing off of you, and is still figuring out how to use his knees and the floor. When he was first trying to move, he had his arms down by his side, and was straining (red face and all) trying to will himself across the floor. Either that, or he was telepathically trying to get his toy to come to him. Whatever it was, it garnished a laugh from me. So fun watching him trying to figure out his world.
The Thomas clan has enjoyed a fairly low-key life at home these last few days. We’ve been watching rented movies, eating key lime pie (hopefully this one won't have the same fate as the last), playing on the floor and putting off all the things that really need to be done. We’ll only have this little break for a little while – and I can guarantee that it will go by quickly enough. So here we are enjoying each other. Enjoying our family. Enjoying the moment one giggle at a time.
1 comment:
And that's exactly what you should do :). Enjoy the moment!
Oh, and I don't like green beans. Yuck.
And I smiled at your love for Indie. Neat to learn stuff like that about people ;).
Post a Comment