
Garfield: (sniffing)
Jon: There’s no doubt about it, Christmas is my favorite holiday. The air is crisp, homes are brightly decorated and everybody is walking around with big smiles on their faces.
(glancing at Garfield) Mmm-yeah … almost everybody.
I think the best part is watching the faces of children and sharing the memories of being a child at Christmas. I remember when my brother Doc Boy and I were little.
Garfield: Oh brother … here we go again.
Jon: Dad would chop down the tree …
Garfield: Chores!
Jon: Mom would fix up a meal …
Garfield: Work!
Jon: Doc Boy would get in the way …
Garfield: Fighting! Big, fat hairy deal.
Odie: Bark!
Jon: Decorating the tree …
Garfield: Gardening!
Jon: Wiring all of the lights …
Garfield: Electrical contracting!
Jon: Wrapping boxes and writing out cards …
Garfield: Office work … outta sight!
Odie: Bark, Bark, Bark!
Jon: Then we’d take those presents and pile them under the tree. We’d barely get a wink of sleep … wondering what they could be!
Odie: Bark!
Garfield: The special gifts of Christmas …
Jon: Christmas!
Garfield: That reeaaally make it great …
Jon: It’s so great!
Garfield: Are the insomnia and the anxiety kids get from having to wait.
Jon: Can’t wait till Christmas, there’s so much to do.
Odie: Bark, Bark!
Jon: Can’t wait till Christmas …
Garfield: Wake me when it’s through.
That was me last year. So me.
I always look forward to the Christmas season. It’s my favorite time of the year – by far. Regardless of whatever else may be going on, I always look forward to Christmas.
Last year … not so much.
It’s a hard thing for me to explain. While I did look forward to Christmas Day, I was far too stressed out to enjoy the season. It buzzed past me, and I was so completely lacking Christmas spirit. Sure, I did the same things I always do – and then some. But I didn’t enjoy it, as I always do. I was just as stressed out as I always am – and then some. But it affected me differently last year.
I’m hopeful that this year will be different. I can already feel the panic attack rising in my chest as I contemplate all that needs to be done. But I don’t want to go through what I did last December 26th … when I realized that a perfectly good holiday season had passed me by. I’m reminded of a favorite quote from The Nanny: “Like when I’m eating Häagen-Dazs and my spoon hits the cardboard.”
Yes. That’s what it felt like. Total devastation.
I learned a valuable lesson last year. One that I won’t soon forget.
We are Christmas people. We go to extreme lengths to create wonderful memories and traditions for our family. And honestly … we would not have it any other way. While I love to give my loved ones the perfect personal gift … and, let’s be honest, love to get gifts in return … I feel that the love and joy we feel during the holiday season is the most important thing. The experiences we create for ourselves are the most important things. And the things that will be remembered years from now.
I forgot that last year. Even though I did the same things – I did them without the most important ingredient. Love. And, as a result – I felt different.
On the one hand, I decorated to beat the band, we went to look at Christmas lights and I created the perfect Christmas experience for Ammon. It was all perfect. But on the other hand, I got so wrapped up in my deadlines and my wrapping jobs and my distain for crooked gift tags. I worried about the nitty-gritty of the process too much and the end result not at all. I realized – too late – that I had it all wrong.
Here’s to another shot. As Christmastime hurtles towards us at an alarming rate – I’m reminded of my pledge from last December 26th. Don’t let another holiday season pass me by. Breathe it in. Relish in it. Do it right.
Good old Garfield was never more correct when he stated:
Christmas.
There. I said it. Now get outta here.
5 comments:
I have had so many of those Christmases myself.
We are already on the right track to fully enjoying ourselves this year. Love you!
that we are! love you!
A family favorite for me too!!! LOVE Garfiel'd Christmas. And Halloween. Dock boy and Atta boy, etc etc ;). Love it.
:)
let's see: ditto, amen, and we love the Garfield season movies
Post a Comment